Wednesday, January 9, 2008

It Is Time

Today is the day.

My friend James died almost 5 months ago. Today I am doing something I have dreaded for a while. It is a simple thing, something that we do often and don't think about. What I am talking about is deleting his number and name from my cell phone. It has been hard, I have thought about it often, but I see his name and I think about how I use to call him and most of the time I would get his recording. By now someone else probably owns that number anyway.
The question that has went through my mind every time I thought about deleting his number is will I think about him as often?
One thing that I do know is, I WILL see him again. He knew Christ as his savior. So even when James is not crossing my mind he will always be on Jesus'!
What James knew was this life is transitory, we only walk around in these bodies for a certain amount of days. Jame's were numbered in years, 41. I am not sad, I just miss talking with him. One day we will talk again though, which makes me happy.
How did James come about this understanding? He knew it was not about how good he was, or how perfect, or how many good things he accomplished. It was not a thing that is balanced on a scale. It was all about what Jesus did. He was the perfect one, He was the one that "worked the works of his Father". Jesus paid it all, fulfilled it all, and he accomplished all the things that Father requires of us. James accepted that fact, the fact that he would NEVER be able to live up to God's standard, all he could do was to ask for the mercy of the Judge, and the Judge threw his guilt on Christ.

So, although it is time for me to let go of this one last vestige of James' life on this earth, it does not mean that it is the last vestige of James.

1 comment:

Hurting Inside said...

Very touching post. It is good that both you and James came to know Christ so that you can see each other again.

"I know that my savior lives, and at the end he will stand on this earth. My flesh may be destroyed, yet from this body I will see God. Yes, I will see him for myself... and I long for that moment."
[DMX]

(I know, not the best role model at all, but agreat quote none the less.)

-Hurting Inside
(The Mr. of the Couple)